The Official RONR Q & A Forums

an organization that has not adopted roberts rules

Guest fever bill

The question and the answers by Mr. Huynh and Transpower show why it is utter folly for an organization to try to conduct business without adopting or at least informally (such as by custom) following a parliamentary authority.

My guess is that guest fever bill is aware of that now.  Perhaps this is why he has a fever?  :unsure:

it seems to me that the General in early editions addressed the topic specifically--(and his wife and sons reaffirmed in later editions)--i concur with the comments--BUT i am only asking if anyone can direct to such IF it still exists--It may have been in the preamle/opening overview

Guest Guest, the point of your post is. . . . ?i belong to several "social" groups and frequently someone tries to invoke Roberts rules--i remember in the past that the subject was addressed by the General--at age 76 maybe i'm just testing my recall ability--NBD 

it seems to me that the General in early editions addressed the topic specifically--(and his wife and sons reaffirmed in later editions)--i concur with the comments--BUT i am only asking if anyone can direct to such IF it still exists--It may have been in the preamle/opening overview

Perhaps fever bill and Guest Guest are thinking of one of these provisions in RONR 11th ed:

From page 3:

"A deliberative assembly that has not adopted any rules is commonly understood to hold itself bound by the rules and customs of the general parliamentary law—or common parliamentary law (as discussed in the Introduction)—to the extent that there is agreement in the meeting body as to what these rules and practices are."

And from page 17:

"Although it is unwise for an assembly or a society to attempt to function without formally adopted rules of order, a recognized parliamentary manual may be cited under such conditions as persuasive. Or, by being followed through long-established custom in an organization, a particular manual may acquire a status within the body similar to that of an adopted parliamentary authority."

Archived