The Official RONR Q & A Forums

protocol for past president

Guest Lori Riley

My organization has a situation where last year's President publicly challenges the current President's ideas/strategy/vision, etc.  Even though this is not done in a vindictive manner, it seems to be creating roadblocks to getting some things accomplished.  I thought that there was a time-honored tradition where past presidents did not openly challenge the current president for just this reason.  However, i cannot find any reference to this in Roberts Rules.  It does seem to me to cause problems for this to go on since the past President was popular with a faction of the group.  Is there anything in Roberts Rules (or any other documentation) that defines this protocol?  Note:  our group does not have the official position of Immediate Past President.  The Past President in question is now a regular member, but still has a certain following.

RONR has nothing to say about the past president. But so long as the past president remains a member, he has the same rights as any other member. To what extent those rights (for any member) include "publicly challeng[ing] the current President's ideas/strategy/vision, etc." depends upon how and in what context that is done.

Archived