The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unacceptable Minutes

Guest Kim Johnson, Pres.

Guest Kim Johnson, Pres.

Our 501c3 had a Quarterly meeting in April where we conducted much business.  Our Recording Secretary was absent.  Two Board members voluteered to take notes, collate their observations and submit the Minutes as a team.   The minutes submitted are one member's(sketchy) notes and omit whole motions and votes.   We are a Senior group and 3 months is a time frame that makes memory difficult without those notes.  It appears that perhaps the other member who volunteered lost his notes.  If the minutes as submitted are unacceptable how do we carry on?  Should we table the approval of the minutes until we can reconstruct them or approve what we have and amend them at another quarterly meeting?

Guest Kim Johnson, Pres.

I'll try to clarify.  We did 1.5 hrs of work and the notes consist of eight lines of text. three of which are irrelevant.  It could take an hour just trying to remember IF we voted on something let alone the outcome.  What is more important?: An accurate recording or having approved minutes?

Our 501c3 had a Quarterly meeting in April where we conducted much business.  Our Recording Secretary was absent.  Two Board members voluteered to take notes, collate their observations and submit the Minutes as a team.   The minutes submitted are one member's(sketchy) notes and omit whole motions and votes.   We are a Senior group and 3 months is a time frame that makes memory difficult without those notes.  It appears that perhaps the other member who volunteered lost his notes.  If the minutes as submitted are unacceptable how do we carry on?  Should we table the approval of the minutes until we can reconstruct them or approve what we have and amend them at another quarterly meeting?

Based upon the facts provided, the best option is probably to postpone (not table) the minutes until the next meeting.

I'll try to clarify.  We did 1.5 hrs of work and the notes consist of eight lines of text. three of which are irrelevant.  It could take an hour just trying to remember IF we voted on something let alone the outcome.  What is more important?: An accurate recording or having approved minutes?

An accurate recording is more important.

Guest Kim Johnson, Pres.

Thank you, Mr. Martin, for taking the time to respond to my query.  Your expertise is well appreciated.  I'm a bit of a rule keeper so inaccurate Minutes make me crazy.  It's good to know that accuracy is preeminant in this situation.

Your situation points out the folly in assigning two people to do one job (take minutes). What seems to generally happen  is that each assumes the other is doing it correctly, and so neither does a very good job.  

Going forward, your association will have to do the best it can to reconstruct what happened. Focus on the important things: Main motions passed, elections and things of that nature.  Anything forgotten might as well as not happened anyway!  

You might consider having a committee appointed to re-construct what happened and prepare the minutes.  A group of you can even undertake to do it informally, without prior authorization.  It would be better, though, it at some point the "committee" is given official recognition and officially appointed, but that isn't technically necessary for a group of members to voluntarily prepare and present a set of draft minutes that they worked on together.  After all, somebody... or some group.... has to do it.

Archived