The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unfinish business

Nan_P2950

In the past, when we approved a motion in relation to events being held, we would put them in Unfinish Business on the agenda to hear the updates/plans of the up coming events.

Now, after doing some serious reading in the RONR 11th edition, I come to find that is not what Unfinish Business is for. Unfinish Business is for any pending motion(s) at the time of adjournment. Any postponed motion(s), motions that were laid on the table, and any special orders go under the Unfinish Business, yes?

Any suggestions as to how we can set up "reports" or updates for the upcoming events, to know how it is progressing? It wouldn't necessarily be a committee...

Any suggestions as to how we can set up "reports" or updates for the upcoming events, to know how it is progressing? It wouldn't necessarily be a committee...

Why wouldn't it be a committee? It could be "a committee of one". Or you can simply direct whoever's in charge of the event to report back on a regular basis (weekly? monthly?). But the person in charge of the event may tell you that everything's going great when it's not.

By the way, it's unfinished business.

If it were to be a committee... do we need to make a motion to create one, everytime?

Didn't know a committee can be of one person. Always thought for a committee, had to be at least two people. (Not to be confused with, for a motion being made from a committee with two people, a 2nd is not needed).

If it were to be a committee... do we need to make a motion to create one, everytime?

If your bylaws designate standing (i.e. "permanent") committees you could amend your bylaws to add an Events Committee that would be responsible for overseeing all events.

Or you could create special (i.e. "ad hoc") committees only for those events which need oversight.

Or, when you adopt the motion that authorizes the event, you could include a provision requiring regular progress reports.

Our bylaws says, in a section: "The president and/or Board of Directors shall appoint such committees they feel necessary to insure proper operation ofthe Association."

In another section: "The general membership may establish committees they feel necessary to insure proper operation of the Association"

Any postponed motion(s), motions that were laid on the table, and any special orders go under the Unfinish Business, yes?

No. Postponed motions come up under General Orders, and special orders come up under Special Orders. Motions that were laid on the table come up when a motion to Take from the Table is adopted.

Some assemblies have a spot on the agenda for "Open Forum" or "Comments for the Good of the Order" or "Announcements" or whatever, which is a great place for stuff which doesn't fit anywhere else.

As Edgar suggests, appointing a committee of one is also perfectly appropriate.

So then it wouldn't be just "Unfinished Business".... but "Unfinished Business and General Orders"?

Yes, "Unfinished Business" and "General Orders" are under one heading.

Though the specific enumeration is somewhat arbitrary. The "standard" order of business is listed on p.353 as:

1. Reading and Approval of Minutes
  2. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
  3. Reports of Special (Select and Ad Hoc) Committees
  4. Special Orders
  5. Unfinished Business and General Orders
  6. New Business
But it could just as easily be:
  2. Reports of Officers
  3. Reports of Boards
  4. Reports of Standing Committees
  5. Reports of Special (Select and Ad Hoc) Committees
  6. Special Orders
  7. Unfinished Business
  8. General Orders
  9. New Business

Or:

2. Reports of Officers, Boards, Standing Committees, and Special (Select and Ad Hoc) Committees
  3. Special Orders
  4. Unfinished Business and General Orders
  5. New Business

Though the specific enumeration is somewhat arbitrary. The "standard" order of business is listed on p.353 as:

4. Special Orders
  6. New Business
  2. Reports of Officers
  3. Reports of Boards
  6. Special Orders
  7. Unfinished Business
  8. General Orders
  9. New Business

Or:

2. Reports of Officers, Boards, Standing Committees, and Special (Select and Ad Hoc) Committees
  3. Special Orders
  5. New Business

THIS is what I am looking for.  THANK YOU!  Thank you for this "guidelines".   

I haven't seen "Unfinished Business" with "General Orders" before... And when I went to the page listed above... There it was... "Unfinished Business and General Orders".  I'm stunned how you (well... me) don't see it til someone else points it out... BOOM... there it is!

THIS is what I am looking for.  THANK YOU!  Thank you for this "guidelines".   

I haven't seen "Unfinished Business" with "General Orders" before... And when I went to the page listed above... There it was... "Unfinished Business and General Orders".  I'm stunned how you (well... me) don't see it til someone else points it out... BOOM... there it is!

But keep in mind that Unfinished Business and General Orders are two different things.

4. Special Orders
  6. New Business
  2. Reports of Officers
  3. Reports of Boards
  6. Special Orders
  7. Unfinished Business
  8. General Orders
  9. New Business

Or:

3. Special Orders
  5. New Business

But you do realize, I assume, that if either rearrangement is made it will have an effect upon other rules, such as those relating to when motions may be taken from the table.

And to pick a nit, to quote from the book correctly it's "Select or Ad Hoc" not "Select and Ad Hoc".

And to pick a nit, to quote from the book correctly it's "Select or Ad Hoc" not "Select and Ad Hoc".

Yes, thanks.

Not having the CD-ROM, I "copied and pasted" from the "Dummies" site; the one that infamously lists "Special Orders" as "Special offers". I corrected that, and the capitalizations, but missed the "and//or".

Archived