The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Lay on the Table

Nan_P2950

If a meber were to make a motion to Lay on the Table... and is adopted. And it wasn't taken from the Table before the meeting adjourned. Would this be on the agenda for the next meeting (provided that they have a meeting within the quarterly time)?

The next meeting comes along, is someone (the secratary? the chair?) responsible to inform/remind the assembly that there is a motion laid on the table? It would be on the minutes for members to see.... They can take it upon on themselves to move to take from the table, yes?

Any member can make a motion to "Take from the Table" (See RONR page 300 for more details on how the motion "Take from the Table" is handled.) but no officer has any responsibility to remind the assembly of the motion on the table. It would be in the minutes as you suggest.  If the presiding officer were concerned that the membership forgot an important motion that was left on the table, he could I suppose mention it, or perhaps he could remind an ally in the assembly before the meeting or during a recess.

Any member can make a motion to "Take from the Table" (See RONR page 300 for more details on how the motion "Take from the Table" is handled.) but no officer has any responsibility to remind the assembly of the motion on the table. It would be in the minutes as you suggest.  If the presiding officer were concerned that the membership forgot an important motion that was left on the table, he could I suppose mention it, or perhaps he could remind an ally in the assembly before the meeting or during a recess.

Yes, good point. A similar answer was given by General Robert in Parliamentary Law Q 232 (p. 494).

• 2 weeks later...

If a meber were to make a motion to Lay on the Table... and is adopted. And it wasn't taken from the Table before the meeting adjourned. Would this be on the agenda for the next meeting (provided that they have a meeting within the quarterly time)?

The next meeting comes along, is someone (the secratary? the chair?) responsible to inform/remind the assembly that there is a motion laid on the table? It would be on the minutes for members to see.... They can take it upon on themselves to move to take from the table, yes?

Yes, although the motion to Lay on the Table was probably improper in the first place.

Yes, although the motion to Lay on the Table was probably improper in the first place.

I understood it as if to put it aside temporarily for immediate urgency.... then no one took it from the table in the same meeting. I was wondering if this has to be on the agenda somewhere... but I am seeing that it will be in the minutes for the members to see...

I also understood that if there weren't enough information on this motion... and they wanted to hold it til the next meeting (our club is bi-monthly)... they made a motion to lay it on the table.... I can recomend that they use "postpone" instead...

I understood it as if to put it aside temporarily for immediate urgency.... then no one took it from the table in the same meeting. I was wondering if this has to be on the agenda somewhere... but I am seeing that it will be in the minutes for the members to see...

I also understood that if there weren't enough information on this motion... and they wanted to hold it til the next meeting (our club is bi-monthly)... they made a motion to lay it on the table.... I can recomend that they use "postpone" instead...

If your club meets as often as you say, has not adopted a special order of business, and has adopted Robert's Rules of Order as its parliamentary authority, there will seldom, if ever, be any need for it to adopt an agenda at any of its meetings. The standard order of business, outlined in detail on pages 353-360 of RONR (11th ed.), is the prescribed order of business for its meetings. 

Archived