The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ad Hoc Committees

Guest Loren Humphre

What is the proper way to form an ad hoc committee, who appoints members and can any member call an ad hoc committee at any time without full board approval?

The creation itself is usually done by a motion and as Mr. Huynh notes it can be populated in a number of ways.  Sometimes bylaws authorize the chair to appoint the members but if they don't he can't assume that authority.  See the citation above.

The usual ways for a committee to be created are by a motion from the general membership, from the board, or from a committee (in order to create a sub-committee). Without a motion, a committtee is most likely to be created by an individual whom the bylaws authorize to do so, and that is most commonly, but not necessarily, the president.

I can't think of any other means for creating a committee at the moment, but maybe someone else can come up with one. Also, recall from the first two responses abovve that creating a committee, and populating it, i.e., naming its members, are not the same thing.

Bruce, Edgar

I appreciate your response. We have a chairman of an airport board (non paid) who says he has the authority to create, and appoint members of an ad-hoc committee with no motion or discussion at all. There is nothing in the bylaws that addresses this issue. The committee is for updating bylaws.

Bruce, Edgar

I appreciate your response. We have a chairman of an airport board (non paid) who says he has the authority to create, and appoint members of an ad-hoc committee with no motion or discussion at all. There is nothing in the bylaws that addresses this issue. The committee is for updating bylaws.

The second paragraph of Mr. Gerber's post in another thread regarding the power of an officer to do something might be useful to you, Guest Jeff.  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25871-canceling-meetings/?p=146660

The topic isn't the same the point is.

. . .  We have a chairman of an airport board (non paid) who says he has the authority to create, and appoint members of an ad-hoc committee with no motion or discussion at all. There is nothing in the bylaws that addresses this issue. The committee is for updating bylaws.

The chairman has only such powers as the bylaws or other governing documents give him.  He does not have the "inherent" power to create committees or appoint people to committees without something giving him that authority.  There is nothing in RONR giving him that authority.

• 10 months later...

You are correct - but you don't "announce" the prospective members, you include their names in the motion to form the committee.  That means that the names of the prospective members are subject to amendment if the majority of the members present and voting on the amendment don't like any of your proposed members and wish to put different people on the committee.  See p. 496.

If no one amends it can they try and amend at a future meeting or since it still passed after hearing minority opinion and no amendments were made its a done deal? Trying to figure out what can come up in future to jeopardize the ad hoc committee 

The makeup, duties and even existence of the committee are subject to change at a future meeting by use of the motions Amend or Rescind something previously adopted. Both motions require a two thirds vote to adopt without previous notice, a majority vote with previous notice, or the vote of a majority of the entire membership.

Edited to add:  The assembly can also discharge the committee by use of the motion to Discharge a Committee, which is very similar in this case to the motion to rescind something previously adopted and is subject to similar rules for adoption.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

• 3 weeks later...

I understood that by definition an ad hoc committee "expired" at the end of a set time, e.g., board FY or on acceptance of a committee report by the board.  Am I wrong on that?  Also, thought that an ad hoc was to have a single, specific issue.  Perhaps off point but does mention of "...intent to review remaining association governing documents" in the subject portion of a motion to appoint an ad hoc committee constitute a committee charge or charter?  (I'm new hear and apologize if my questions are to broad abd off topic.)

An "ad hoc"  --  or to uses RONR's more formal wording  --  a Special Committee ceases to exist when its assigned tasks, or multiple tasks, are done.  It could make interim reports on some of its assigned task(s) without ceasing to exist, as long as the task(s) was(were) not done yet.

I don't think I can answer your "...intent to review..." question  --  in general figuring out what something means will be up to the association to take care of when a question comes up.

As a newbie, you are MOST welcome, so come on back with more questions.  Also join in: it will save you from dealing with those CAPTCHA games, and allow you to use other features.

• 4 months later...
Guest guest - Nasty Woman

So, help me to understand the outcome of an adhoc committee. If the committee is assigned a specific task, and they come up with a solution, does the general membership just accept what they put forth or does it have to be voted on and approved????

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Can someone other than board members be on an adhoc committee?  We would like to research water rates increases and

would like to include a couple members of the community to participate.  We would also have board members on the committee.

Please post as a new topic.

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.