The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Election

Guest Jean Blair

If the Chairman resigns before the end of his/her term and causes a Special Election, can said ex-Chairman have his name given in nomination at the Special Election for Chairman?

No, because the Vice Chairman automatically becomes Chairman. The ex-chairman may be nominated to fill the vacancy in the office of Vice Chairman.

No, because the Vice Chairman automatically becomes Chairman. The ex-chairman may be nominated to fill the vacancy in the office of Vice Chairman.

I'm not sure if this is the case in this situation. It depends on what is meant by "causes a Special Election" and if that is a provision in the bylaws for filling a vacancy of chairman.

If the Chairman resigns before the end of his/her term and causes a Special Election, can said ex-Chairman have his name given in nomination at the Special Election for Chairman?

I'm not sure if this is the case in this situation. It depends on what is meant by "causes a Special Election" and if that is a provision in the bylaws for filling a vacancy of chairman.

I agree with Hieu's analysis and have the same concern that Hieu expressed.  It appears to me that there is going to be a special election to fill the position on a more permanent basis.  Perhaps we need more information and need to know if a special election to fill the "vacancy" is really appropriate.

Archived