The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Codified Law

Guest Bob

I am a board member on a small town school board.

Recently, our new business manager at a regular board meeting turned to a non board member attending the meeting after that person had asked a question and very rudely said "I cannot address you".

The next day our business manager send out a memo saying it was codified law, that persons not on the agenda, cannot speak out unless asked a direct question by a board member.

Our business managers people skills aside,  Is this true?

I am a board member on a small town school board.

Recently, our new business manager at a regular board meeting turned to a non board member attending the meeting after that person had asked a question and very rudely said "I cannot address you".

The next day our business manager send out a memo saying it was codified law, that persons not on the agenda, cannot speak out unless asked a direct question by a board member.

Our business managers people skills aside,  Is this true?

You'll have to ask the board's attorney.  We deal with parliamentary law, which is not the same thing he's referring to.

We "don't do law" on this forum, so I can't tell you (and really don't know) if there is any state law or local ordinance on point regarding the question you asked.  Your school board is most likely subject to your state's open meetings (sunshine) laws if it is a public school board.  Most public bodies also have their own rules regarding participation by the public at their meetings.

However, from a parliamentary standpoint, RONR provides that nonmembers of the body which is meeting have no rights whatsoever.  They may be permitted to speak and/or ask questions, but doing so is up to the assembly itself.  Those matters are often handled by the chairman by unanimous consent.  The meeting is under the control of the chairman and ultimately the assembly (the board) itself, not the business manager.  It may be that your school board has adopted a formal policy or custom of not responding to questions from the audience except under certain circumstances. 

Archived