The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 Vote

Guest Gabriel Jaramillo

Guest Gabriel Jaramillo

Currently on our Student Government Board, we have 3 members. 

1 member was absent

2 members were present.

We voted to appoint a new member to the board.

The two members voted YES.

Legally, per Roberts Rules, does this meet the 2/3 Vote with only two members voting.

Guest Gabriel Jaramillo

Oh man, I am hearing that the vote is suppose to be 2 out of 3.  There should have been a third person to make the 2/3 vote.  Is there something in writing, I can present to them and state, it is ok to vote with two member and still get away with a 2/3 vote.  This is required for the item to pass for student government. 

Guest Gabriel, a vote of 2 to 0 is not a two-thirds vote.... it's a 100 percent vote.  100 percent of those who voted voted yes.  Last time I checked, 100 percent is more than two thirds.  It's also unanimous.  :)

As Hieu Huynh pointed out, the rule for calculating a two thirds vote is on page 401 of RONR.

In case you (and your friends) don't have the book, here is a copy and paste of what Mr. Huynh referred to:

"Two-Thirds Vote

A two-thirds vote—when the term is unqualified—means at least two thirds of the votes cast by persons entitled to vote, excluding blanks or abstentions, at a regular or properly called meeting. For example (assuming that there are no fractions of votes):"

Two votes out of two votes cast is definitely two thirds....it's 100 percent of the votes cast.

Two thirds of two is one and one-third or 1.333333 (depending on how many decimal points you want to carry it out).  Two out of two is 100 percent....which is definitely more than two-thirds.   You ignore the third guy who wasn't there and didn't vote.  You count only votes.... not people who "could have voted if they had been there".

We don't know what else to say to convince them.  Well, *I* don't know what else to say.  Maybe somebody else does.

Hmm.

How about quoting the whole sentence instead of cherry picking the first part of it out of context:

Guest Gabriel, a vote of 2 to 0 is not a two-thirds vote.... it's a 100 percent vote.  100 percent of those who voted voted yes.  Last time I checked, 100 percent is more than two thirds.  It's also unanimous.  :)

Oh man, I am hearing that the vote is suppose to be 2 out of 3.  There should have been a third person to make the 2/3 vote.  Is there something in writing, I can present to them and state, it is ok to vote with two member and still get away with a 2/3 vote.  This is required for the item to pass for student government. 

If there are three members, then two members would presumably constitute a quorum, and they can conduct business as long as no more than one person is absent.

If those two people both vote yes on something, it not only satisfies the requirements for a 2/3 vote, it would satisfy a 3/4, 4/5, 9/10, or any larger fraction.

In fact, a 2-0 vote is a unanimous vote.  You can't do better than that.

Archived