The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling a meeting

Guest Vivian

Our organization's by-laws simply state that executive committee meetings may be called whenever necessary, by the President.

Would the calling of an executive committee meeting be considered a special meeting and therefore require notice of agenda items or would it be considered a regular meeting?

Clearly a gray area, in my view.

Rather than speculate and argue (endlessly-?) over the meaning of what your bylaws say, how about amending them to clearly state when you have "regular" meetings, and how "special" ones are, or can be, called independently of the regular meetings.

Since the president's action appears to be the only way a meeting can be called, I guess those are your regular meetings. But introduce the word "regular"  (even though you might be a bit irregular from time to time) to lock it down.  And then allow for special meetings, called by X members of the executive board, say.

Since "called meeting" is another term for "special meeting", I think that under such a rule, all meetings of the EC are special meetings, presuming that the call of the president is the only way to have one.

I was once a board member of an organization that had a Board of Trustees that had regular monthly meetings, and an Executive Committee which essentially never met, except in rare cases when action was needed that could not wait for the next regular meeting.  All such meetings were treated as "called" meetings, and the nature of the business to be discussed or acted upon was included in the call of the meeting.

Archived