The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question about holding two offices

Tom Morelock

We have a situation where the board a current Board member was elected by the board to fill a position that has been vacant for years.  i know holding two offices is acceptable but he has only one vote etc. the position he was newly put into is one elected by the board per the bylaws with no term, the board hires/fires so to speak at will. here is the question there is still two years left in his original office which is elected by the membership, what happens if a member would like to step up and fill the rest of the two year term? is he expected to vacate it? 

i know holding two offices is acceptable but he has only one vote etc. the position he was newly put into is one elected by the board per the bylaws with no term, the board hires/fires so to speak at will.

Was this board member elected to another position on the board or to a position separate from the board? If the latter, he gets to vote at board meetings (as a member of the board) and he gets to vote at meetings of whatever body (if any) his new position makes him a member of.

Even though the board member holds two positions that make him a member of the board . . . 

I'm still not sure that's the case. He was presumably elected to the board by the general membership. Then the board elected him to a position that had long been vacant, a position that we're told is also on the board. "The position he was newly put into is one elected by the board per the bylaws with no term, the board hires/fires so to speak at will". Is this a case where, for example, the board elects the officers from among its members or is this position something else entirely?

I guess I'm still confused about the nature of this second position.

I'm still not sure that's the case. He was presumably elected to the board by the general membership. Then the board elected him to a position that had long been vacant, a position that we're told is also on the board. "The position he was newly put into is one elected by the board per the bylaws with no term, the board hires/fires so to speak at will". Is this a case where, for example, the board elects the officers from among its members or is this position something else entirely?

I guess I'm still confused about the nature of this second position.

Perhaps he will clarify, but I'm guessing that this is a case where the board is responsible for selecting someone to fill a position that is an ex officio member of the board. Perhaps a director or something like that. Even though being in that position would make him a member of the board, he might want to maintain the elected position, just in case the rest of the board decided they didn't want him filling the director position anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

The first position that he holds is one that has a three year term and is elected by the general membership. the new position has no term but he can in fact be hired/fired at will by the same board he is a member of. both positions are listed in the bylaws and have specific duties listed for them, any one who is a member of the organization is eligible to fill either position.

Archived