The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolutions & minutes

Guest Guest

Officers of my organization are currently having a debate about whether Board motions must be minuted and to what extent they must be minuted (name of the proposer and seconder, precise wording of the motion, and outcome of the vote) and, secondly, if the Board wishes to undo a motion from a previous meeting can it just erase it? Or must someone make a a separate motion to undo the earlier motion, followed by a separate vote with everything recorded as the first time? That's my understanding.

Thank you.

Officers of my organization are currently having a debate about whether Board motions must be minuted and to what extent they must be minuted (name of the proposer and seconder, precise wording of the motion, and outcome of the vote) and, secondly, if the Board wishes to undo a motion from a previous meeting can it just erase it? Or must someone make a a separate motion to undo the earlier motion, followed by a separate vote with everything recorded as the first time? That's my understanding.

Thank you.

I would commend you and your board members to §48. MINUTES AND REPORTS OF OFFICERS beginning on p. 468 in RONR (11th ed).

As to your questions:

Question 1, from RONR (11th ed.), p. 469:

" 6) all main motions (10) or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly (pp. 74–79; 34–37) that were made or taken up—except, normally, any that were withdrawn*—stating:

a) the wording in which each motion was adopted or otherwise disposed of (with the facts as to whether the motion may have been debated or amended before disposition being mentioned only parenthetically); and

b ) the disposition of the motion, including—if it was temporarily disposed of (pp. 90–91, 340–41)—any primary and secondary amendments and all adhering secondary motions that were then pending;

Question 2:

Your understanding is correct.  See the motion to Rescind; Amend Something Previously Adopted.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 305ff

Thank you. Everything's there. Then if I may ask one more question: I presume that a motion to expunge would be different from a motion to rescind? But even if a motion to expunge were approved, it would not erase the motion, just require the secretary to draw a line through it. Thus the original wording would still be visible. Is this also a correct understanding? Thank you.

Thank you. Everything's there. Then if I may ask one more question: I presume that a motion to expunge would be different from a motion to rescind? But even if a motion to expunge were approved, it would not erase the motion, just require the secretary to draw a line through it. Thus the original wording would still be visible. Is this also a correct understanding? Thank you.

Groups should simply never use this motion but:

"On extremely rare occasions when it is desired not only to rescind action but also to express the strongest disapproval, a member may move to Rescind and Expunge from the Minutes (or the Record). Adoption of this motion requires an affirmative vote of a majority of the entire membership, and may be inadvisable unless the support is even greater. Even a unanimous vote at a meeting is insufficient if that vote is not a majority of the entire membership. If such a motion is adopted, the secretary, in the presence of the assembly, draws a single line through or around the offending words in the minutes, and writes across them the words, "Rescinded and Ordered Expunged," with the date and his signature. In the recorded minutes the words that are expunged must not be blotted or cut out so that they cannot be read, since this would make it impossible to verify whether more was expunged than ordered. In any published record of the proceedings, the expunged material is omitted. Rather than expunging, it is usually better to rescind the previous action and then, if advisable, to adopt a resolution condemning the action which has been rescinded."  RONR (11th ed), p. 310

Mr. Mervosh,

What about expunging motions at BOD meetings? Do those require a majority of general assembly as well? Or just a majority of the BOD? And like with rescinding, the motion must be recorded?

I feel like Peter Falk in Columbo - 'one more question' - but I want to make sure I understand completely.

Again, thank you.

You're not looking to expunge without rescinding, are you Guest_Guest? (can you please be more creative than Guest_Guest? :) )

I'm supposed to be Harper. Somehow I can't figure out how to sign on properly. Was born in the Finleyville Hospital, same hospital as Joe Montana so my late grandfather told me. I suspect that that will be a bit off topic to anyone but you. Anyway, thank you for your advice. And ditto to everyone else. HARPER

Archived