The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The Chair

Nan_P2950

RONR (11th ed.) p 467, ll. 1 - 4

"After the parliamentarian has expressed an opinion on a point, the chair has the duty to make the final ruling and, in doing so, has the right to follow the advice of the parliamentarian or to disregard it."

RONR (11th ed.) p 254, ll. 4 - 7

"The chair can also request the advice of experienced members, but no one has the right to express such opinions in the meeting unless requested to do so by the chair."

The secretary (will name her Jane) of our club has been going to, what she thinks is an experienced member (will name her JoAnn), outside the meeting.  If I, the chair, have the right to follow the advice of the parliamentarian (not that we have one in our club) or disregard it...  my guess is that I can do the same from this just one member.  I feel that JoAnn is NOT a reliable source when it comes to parliamentary procedures/RONR.   JoAnn has said that with 30 members, the quorum should be 2/3 (of 30).  (That's in another old post).  JoAnn has also said that the Treasurer should be passing out the report. (Another old post).  

Any advice on how to handle this situation?  Can I say, in a polite way, that unless you (Jane) make a Point of Order in a timely fashion (and/or make a motion to Appeal)... to shut it, and stop going to JoAnn?

Any advice on how to handle this situation?  Can I say, in a polite way, that unless you (Jane) make a Point of Order in a timely fashion (and/or make a motion to Appeal)... to shut it, and stop going to JoAnn?

Assuming this unwanted advice is being given outside the context of a meeting, why not just smile . . . and ignore it?

Assuming this unwanted advice is being given outside the context of a meeting, why not just smile . . . and ignore it?

Outside the meeting, yes, I can. I'm more concern when it is brought to the meeting.... In one of the prior meeting, JoAnn actually came to the meeting and threw all this at me... Wasn't sure how to handle that... All I could think of was "that's your opinion"... Shortly after, Jane started saying "that's your opinion" to me... I told Jane "enough!"

The secretary (will name her Jane) of our club has been going to, what she thinks is an experienced member (will name her JoAnn), outside the meeting.  If I, the chair, have the right to follow the advice of the parliamentarian (not that we have one in our club) or disregard it...  my guess is that I can do the same from this just one member.  I feel that JoAnn is NOT a reliable source when it comes to parliamentary procedures/RONR.   JoAnn has said that with 30 members, the quorum should be 2/3 (of 30).

Yes, you are free to disregard the advice of an "experienced member," especially when it's bad advice.

You certainly can and should inform the member that the appropriate course of action when she feels a rule has been violated is to promptly raise a Point of Order, followed by an Appeal, if necessary.

As to how to inform the Secretary that her friend is perhaps not as knowledgable about parliamentary procedure as she thinks, you're on your own there. :)

Archived