The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Illegal election

Guest Loren M. Thorson

Guest Loren M. Thorson

Because of our size, i.e., 13,000 voters, paper ballots are remitted to the membership by mail.  We have a "rule of order" that all such ballots submitted to the membership must be accompanied by pro and con statements for each ballot question

For some unknown reason, the pro/con statement was not included with the ballot.  What is the status of the election......legal or not?

Loren M. Thorson

Because of our size, i.e., 13,000 voters, paper ballots are remitted to the membership by mail.  We have a "rule of order" that all such ballots submitted to the membership must be accompanied by pro and con statements for each ballot question

Are you saying that, in addition to the election of candidates, the ballots are also used for voting on various questions and that these questions were unaccompanied by the required "pro and con" statements?

If that's the case I would think the election would be valid that the validity of the election would be unaffected.

Whether the votes on the questions are valid is, well, another question.

Edited at 3:30 PM.

For some unknown reason, the pro/con statement was not included with the ballot.  What is the status of the election......legal or not?

I see no reason why the election would be invalid based on the facts provided. The fact that pro and con statements were not included for separate questions on the same ballot would have no effect on the validity of the election.

I see no reason why the election would be invalid based on the facts provided. The fact that pro and con statements were not included for separate questions on the same ballot would have no effect on the validity of the election.

I agree and would add that, depending on when the omission was discovered, the pro-con statements could still be mailed (or maybe even emailed) separately as soon as the omission is discovered.  Without knowing more, I don't see how the failure to include the statements with the ballots would invalidate an election.

Archived