The Official RONR Q & A Forums

recording minutes

Guest Raj

Nowhere.

Committees don't usually prepare formal minutes though RONR says (on p.500) that "a secretary may be chosen to keep a brief memorandum in the nature of minutes for the use of the committee".

What the committee submits to the board, assuming it's a committee of the board, is the committee's report.

The secretary takes notes. If you feel more comfortable referring to those notes as "minutes" I don't think anyone here will object.

In fact, if I didn't know better (?), I think I'd probably refer to them as "minutes".

I think RONR's point (and I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) is that the "minutes" of a committee meeting needn't conform to the requirements of formal minutes.

The secretary takes notes. If you feel more comfortable referring to those notes as "minutes" I don't think anyone here will object.

In fact, if I didn't know better (?), I think I'd probably refer to them as "minutes".

I think RONR's point (and I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) is that the "minutes" of a committee meeting needn't conform to the requirements of formal minutes.

You're not getting any kind of "correction" from me.  :)

Thanks.But when a committee meets how do they conduct business if they do not need to record the minutes

In some cases, a secretary isn't even needed. But that doesn't mean that no committee should have a secretary and keep minutes. Standing committees are more likely to need minutes than ad hoc committees. Larger committees are more likely to need minutes than small committees. Minutes are a tool that help people keep track of what has been done. The more that needs to be done, the more likely minutes are needed, but the lack of minutes doesn't keep the committee from reporting to the organization that created it.

Archived