The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Business Discussion

Guest Linda J

The agenda for our upcoming board meeting lists fundraising as an item under new business. I believe that this will be a discussion and brainstorming  item with no motions made. In a previous post I asked for advice and guidelines on handling board reports and debates to help with order. As an example board reports with no motions should be limited to questions by members. Are there any suggestions for handling this discussion on fundraising, i.e., time limits, etc.? 

Since it will be just discussion with no motions I would recommend you hold the brainstorming session during a recess (the Board should figure out how much time to allocate for the discussion).  After the ideas have become more fleshed out a Board member (after the meeting has been called back to order) can make a motion to implement whatever decision(s) the Board had worked out.  At that point, if a Board member has a better idea (whether it is one the Board wasn't as much in favor of during the recess or one the Board member just came up with) he can offer that suggestion as an amendment*.  See RONR pp. 230-233 (Recess) and pp. 130-168 (Amend) for details.  

*:Depending on how many suggestions there are you all might want to create a blank to deal with them (RONR pp. 162-168).

The agenda for our upcoming board meeting lists fundraising as an item under new business. I believe that this will be a discussion and brainstorming  item with no motions made. In a previous post I asked for advice and guidelines on handling board reports and debates to help with order. As an example board reports with no motions should be limited to questions by members. Are there any suggestions for handling this discussion on fundraising, i.e., time limits, etc.?

Any limitations to place on informal discussion are at the board's discretion.

What agenda? Have you read the answer in Q&A #14I

Members may contact the executive committee at their pre board meeting to discuss any business that they would like to bring up. A tentative agenda is written up and sent out to the Board so that they can prepare for our board meeting. I know that the tentative agenda should be just that and that members have the right to bring up other items at the meeting, but unfortunately this group doesn't vote on the agenda at the outset of the meeting. We have a lot to straighten out!

Archived