The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Small Board Rules Questions

Guest Confused

Definition of SMALL

Small importance

Small controversy

Small resistance

Little to do with number of members

How would "small importance" be inturpreted?

For instance, is making decisions for a multi-million dollar property investment of between 332 - 1,000 investors be considered 'small importance' or is something like the 'holiday decorating committee' for a church winter event in a small town of small importance?

What is considered "controversy" in regards to making the decisions to use small board rules?

And when 'resistance' is mentioned, what kind are we talking about? Resistance to what?

Definition of SMALL

Small importance

Small controversy

Small resistance

For instance, is making decisions for a multi-million dollar property investment of between 332 - 1,000 investors be considered 'small importance' or is something like the 'holiday decorating committee' for a church winter event in a small town of small importance?

What is considered "controversy" in regards to making the decisions to use small board rules?

And when 'resistance' is mentioned, what kind are we talking about? Resistance to what?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions. Ask the people who made this presentation. Contrary to what this presentation suggests, RONR defines a small board as one in which there are not more than about a dozen members present.

"In a board meeting where there are not more than about a dozen members present, some of the formality that is necessary in a large assembly would hinder business. The rules governing such meetings are different from the rules that hold in other assemblies..." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 487)

Got it.

Ask Mr. Cuesta where he got his definition  --  not out of RONR, that's for sure.

Looks like he is just making stuff up.

It looks like a lot of the information in that guide is based on California's "Davis-Stirling Act"  for "common interest developments" such as homeowner associations, etc.  Those definitions of "small", however, appear to be completely made up.  I can't tell where those definitions came from, but they don't appear to be in the Davis-Stirling Act itself.

Interesting. 

And strange. Very strange, especially coming from a PRP.  Downright stunning.

I, too, wish someone would ask Mr. Cuesta where he got those definitions from for describing committees and"small boards" that can use the "Small Board Rules"!!

Definition of SMALL

Small importance

Small controversy

Small resistance

It seems made up to me also. I can't imagine some calling something "small importance." If it isn't important, then why bother having a meeting at all? Small controversy and small resistance may have some merit, but only the fuzziness factor. A board of 15 members might be "about 12" if there are only a few people who care to say anything and the rest are just there to vote. And a board of 9 might benefit from more formal adherence to the rules if they are at each others throats. But 12 is usually a good cutoff point.

By the way, I dare you to walk into a meeting of the church Holiday Decorating Committee and tell them that what they are doing is of small importance. I might even be willing to pay to see that.

Archived