The Official RONR Q & A Forums

conflict of interest?

Nan_P2950

At the delegate meeting, is it a conflict of interest to have a delagate in the conference and be an appointed auditor for the said conference?

I don't see how.

The delegate should be able to debate and vote on every motion except those relating to auditing of the books of the corporation.

It seems to me the member should feel free to debate and vote on those motions as well. I concur with Mr. Fish that there is no personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members.

But suppose the appointed auditor is being paid for the job--that is, he's a professional auditor running an auditing business. Any motions related to his appointment could put the auditor, as a member of the society, in a conflict of interest.

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. My understanding is that this person is a member of an internal auditing committee, not a professional auditor. If he is a professional auditor who also happens to be a member, yes, that would be a different situation.

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. My understanding is that this person is a member of an internal auditing committee, not a professional auditor. If he is a professional auditor who also happens to be a member, yes, that would be a different situation.

In this case, no... he's not a professional auditor.... he was in an "internal auditing committee" for this conference....

In this case, no... he's not a professional auditor.... he was in an "internal auditing committee" for this conference....

Thank you. In that event, I do not see how there is a "conflict of interest," or in RONR's terminology, a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members. The duties of the auditing committee are to ensure that the assembly's financial records are accurate and, if necessary, to uncover any wrongdoing on the part of the Treasurer or others. The assembly presumably shares this interest. The member should feel free to fully participate in all of the convention's business, including the audit.

Archived