The Official RONR Q & A Forums

E-board members and standing committees

Guest Elaine Lagerblade

Guest Elaine Lagerblade

I've recently,joined a non-profit organization. In our most recent meeting I was voted in as treasurer which puts me on our e-board. No problem there. During this same meeting a couple of committees were formed and volunteers were asked to sit on those committees. I volunteered along with another e-board member. A few days later the other member resigned the committee due to conflict of interest that being in both can be considered steering for personal gain by Robert's Rules. In meeting it was mentioned that we are implementing Robert's Rules for our meetings and such. Since I am new to the organization I have not seen a copy of our by laws for the corporation nor am I familiar with Robert's Rules. Please advise. If the service & fundraising committees were formed to gain ideas and concepts then once voted upon by members to proceed with ideas and concepts the conflict of interest is irrelevant, is it not? I fully intend to read the book but for right now I need a fast clarification so that I know how proceed with my committiee. Thanks!

I've recently,joined a non-profit organization. In our most recent meeting I was voted in as treasurer which puts me on our e-board. No problem there. During this same meeting a couple of committees were formed and volunteers were asked to sit on those committees. I volunteered along with another e-board member. A few days later the other member resigned the committee due to conflict of interest that being in both can be considered steering for personal gain by Robert's Rules. In meeting it was mentioned that we are implementing Robert's Rules for our meetings and such. Since I am new to the organization I have not seen a copy of our by laws for the corporation nor am I familiar with Robert's Rules. Please advise. If the service & fundraising committees were formed to gain ideas and concepts then once voted upon by members to proceed with ideas and concepts the conflict of interest is irrelevant, is it not? I fully intend to read the book but for right now I need a fast clarification so that I know how proceed with my committiee. Thanks!

There is nothing in Robert's Rules of Order which says that there is something wrong with being on an organization's executive board and on one of its standing committees at the same time. In fact, it's not in the least bit unusual.

But, of course, some may frown on the idea of the treasurer being a member of the committee formed to audit his books.   :)

Archived