The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debatability of going into executive session

Leo

At a meeting attended by nonmembers and various guests, a guest speaker gives a presentation on a costly project for the assembly.

A member moves to adopt the costly project.

A lengthy and contentious debate follows.

Another member moves the previous question.

The previous question is adopted.

Immediately, before any vote is taken under the order of the previous question, a member sensing that the vote on this question should be kept within the organization interrupts the chair by rising to a question of privilege of the assembly.

The chair directs the member to state his point, and rules the question is one of privilege of the assembly to be entertained immediately.

It is moved and seconded that the assembly go into executive session to conduct the vote on the project.

In this situation, is the motion to go into executive session debatable?

At a meeting attended by nonmembers and various guests, a guest speaker gives a presentation on a costly project for the assembly.

A member moves to adopt the costly project.

A lengthy and contentious debate follows.

Another member moves the previous question.

The previous question is adopted.

Immediately, before any vote is taken under the order of the previous question, a member sensing that the vote on this question should be kept within the organization interrupts the chair by rising to a question of privilege of the assembly.

The chair directs the member to state his point, and rules the question is one of privilege of the assembly to be entertained immediately.

It is moved and seconded that the assembly go into executive session to conduct the vote on the project.

In this situation, is the motion to go into executive session debatable?

Yes.

And for a citation, see RONR 11th ed., p. 203, l. 21 to p. 204, l. 4.

Hieu, I don't see how your citation deals with debatability.  How do you figure?  It looks to me as if p. 205, first bullet, and p. 207, bullet from line 5, are what apply best, but I see nothing clear and explicit.

Archived