The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratification of Difficult Motions

Sean Hunt

If I'm taking the second statement in post 3, which I've been questioning here, too generally, please just say so and that'll be that.  For example, if a church's bylaws require a 3/4 vote to hire a pastor, and they do it, and it's later shown that the meeting was inquorate, does p. 103 (a) say that a later motion to ratify the hiring requires a 3/4 vote?  I don't see that, do you?

No, (a) on page 103 doesn't say so specifically, but "except as explained on pages 103-4" on tinted page 25 is telling you that the rules in SDC 7 on pages 103-4 are applicable to motions to ratify.

No, (a) on page 103 doesn't say so specifically, but "except as explained on pages 103-4" on tinted page 25 is telling you that the rules in SDC 7 on pages 103-4 are applicable to motions to ratify.

This is like pullin' teeth, eh?  and they're my teeth.

If I were to read p. 103, line 25, as, implicitly, "estate, hiring a pastor, etc.;" -- would I be on the right track?

This is like pullin' teeth, eh?  and they're my teeth.

If I were to read p. 103, line 25, as, implicitly, "estate, hiring a pastor, etc.;" -- would I be on the right track?

If I was still writing the book, I definitely would insert "hiring a pastor" in there. I don't know how it's taken so long.

Can you think of any difference in effect between ratifying the action taken at the quorumless meeting at which the motion creating the special rule of order was adopted and simply adopting another motion creating the same special rule of order? 

Only relating to the amendment of the motion (and I am going to start a new thread on the matter).

Archived