The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Repeated agenda item

Guest Ginger

We have a Board Member who asks to have the same item on the agenda every month.  It was originally discussed and he made a Motion on the item, which did not receive a second, so discussion ended.   For several months now he has asked to put it on the agenda, gives his same speech every time, and it goes nowhere.  We know we can just not adopt the agenda until the item is removed, but is there any other way through the Rules to deal with someone who refuses to accept that his personal issue is not going to get any attention from the rest of the Board?

It was originally discussed and he made a Motion on the item, which did not receive a second, so discussion ended.   For several months now he has asked to put it on the agenda, gives his same speech every time, and it goes nowhere.

No one gets to make a speech if a motion isn't seconded, not even the motion maker. He gets to make the motion, but there needs to be a second before he can speak to it.

We know we can just not adopt the agenda until the item is removed...

This won't work (at least, not by itself). The board could amend the agenda to remove the item, but unless the board's rules provide otherwise, a member is free to make a motion in New Business, even if it is not on the agenda. The purpose of an agenda isn't to control what business is in order, it's used to ensure that the most important business is completed first. I suppose what you could do is to move to Adjourn immediately after all business on the agenda is completed. This is not debatable and requires a majority vote for adoption.

I'd also note that whoever prepares the draft agenda isn't required to put an item on there simply because a member asks that it be on there, but as noted, leaving an item off of the agenda doesn't stop a member from making a motion, at least so far as RONR is concerned.

...but is there any other way through the Rules to deal with someone who refuses to accept that his personal issue is not going to get any attention from the rest of the Board?

Short of adopting a special rule of order, I don't really see another way to deal with this other than the strategy of removing the item from the agenda (or not putting it on there in the first place) and then adjourning the meeting before he gets a chance to make his motion in New Business.

Considering that the motion isn't even being seconded, however, I'd say any strategy of dealing with this is more effort than it's worth. If you start enforcing the rule that debate by any member is not in order until the motion is seconded, this won't really take much time. He can make his motion each meeting, and then you can move on when no one seconds it.

Our President allows board members to bring items up for discussion regardless of whether a Motion is ever made.  is that an error?

Well... the small board rules in RONR (generally used by boards with not more than about a dozen members present) do allow for discussion of issues with no motion pending, but such discussion is only permitted to the extent the board allows it. Since it's fairly clear by now that no one else has any interest in discussing this issue, I don't know that the chair should permit the issue to continue being raised unless a motion is made. Even if he does allow it, a motion to end the discussion would be in order. Unlike speaking in debate, there is no right to speak in discussion, so this motion could interrupt a member if necessary.

Since we're mentioning the small board rules, seconds aren't required under those rules... but it seems that the board has customarily not been following that rule, and given the recent events, I imagine the board will want to continue that custom.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived