The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a committee grant leave to withdraw?

Guest cb77

A resolution is referred to a committee. The primary sponsor ('mover') of the resolution is on the committee. She requests "leave to withdraw the motion" and the committee votes unanimously to grant it. Does this mean that the committee directly granted leave to withdraw (ie the motion has 'disappeared') or should this be treated as a recommendation by the committee to the assembly to grant leave to withdraw? Our bylaws are silent on this issue.

Based on the extensive descriptions of reports of committees, I'd go for a "recommendation" only.  The committee, with the usual instructions, i.e., not given "power"), still has to present the referred motion to the assembly for consideration.  The original maker (or anybody, with the maker's concurrence) can then ask permission to withdraw it.

Based on the extensive descriptions of reports of committees, I'd go for a "recommendation" only.  The committee, with the usual instructions, i.e., not given "power"), still has to present the referred motion to the assembly for consideration.  The original maker (or anybody, with the maker's concurrence) can then ask permission to withdraw it.

What if the committee is given power to directly amend the resolution (the bylaws say that all amendments made by the committee are automatically accepted by the assembly)? Leave to withdraw is not an amendment though -- correct?

Thank you so much! Last question -- what part of RONR can I cite for my colleagues?

"After a motion has been stated by the chair, it belongs to the meeting as a whole, and the maker must request the assembly's permission to withdraw or modify his own motion, according to the rules stated in Standard Characteristics 1–8, above."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 296.

I think it should be clear that the when the book states "the meeting as a whole" and "the assembly's" it's referring to the meeting and assembly where the motion was made.

"A request for permission to withdraw a motion, or a motion to grant such permission, can be made at any time before voting on the question has begun, even though the motion has been amended, and even though subsidiary or incidental motions may be pending. Any such motions that adhere to the main motion cease to be before the assembly and require no further disposition if the main motion is withdrawn."  RONR (11th ed. ), p. 297

Here, the book is saying that even though amendments may have been adopted or pending or other motions may be pending, the request to withdraw can still be adopted by majority vote.  Again, the regular assembly, not the committee.

What if the committee is given power to directly amend the resolution (the bylaws say that all amendments made by the committee are automatically accepted by the assembly)? Leave to withdraw is not an amendment though -- correct?

I'd say your organization should probably think long and hard about that bylaw provision, if that is, in fact, what it says.

Archived