The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Bud

We can't answer legal questions here, and the answer to legal questions may depend on the nature of the organization and any applicable laws.  As far as parliamentary procedure, as long as the 'stacking' is done in a valid way - all people who vote are entitled to, no bylaws are violated in paying for other people's dues, etc. - then it's not a violation of parliamentary procedure.  Those on the other side could always make their own GOTV campaign.  We'd need more details to be sure, though.

Is stacking the meeting to control a vote legal?

No rule in RONR prohibits it if by "stacking the meeting" you mean encouraging certain people to come to a certain meeting to vote on a certain issue.   It's commonly known as "get out the vote", a key part of national, state, local elections and also of meetings of most organizations. 

Why would encouraging someone to come to a meeting to be able to vote be a bad thing?

(And this reminds me that I need to call my 91 year old mother-in-law and tell her who I think she should vote for for Governor and parish (county) president and on a bunch of other issues in a week and a half.)   Don't worry: she keeps asking. Whether she votes the way I suggest is another matter.   :)   I also call her the day before the election and on election day to remind her.  And she does vote:  A year ago she voted from a hospital stretcher by fax the day before the election while being wheeled into surgery to repair a fractured femur. 

Archived