The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper time for a President to resign

Guest Debbie Bramer

In actuality, it would be best for the organization if both people agreed to not run. The President has been in the position far to long. The problem person is an issue for the majority of the board and is causing a toxic environment.

Then don't elect either of them.

Another option is to review how to remove toxic board members.

Not electing people in the first place is generally much easier than removing them.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the general assembly has not been shown the division on the board so they tend to vote in the incumbent.

Then show them. Nominations are debatable. Find other candidates, and then convince the membership that they are better for the society then these two.

So if the Vice President has been elected then that person would automatically become the President?  Is there a reason why you would not hold election for the vacant position which would be President?

"In case of the resignation or death of the president, the vice-president (if there is only one) or the first vice-president (if there are more than one) automatically becomes president for the unexpired term, unless the bylaws expressly provide otherwise for filling a vacancy in the office of president."

RONR (11th ed.), p.458, l.8-13

If we assume both of these things, then the current Vice President will serve for the remainder of the President's term. The newly elected President's new term will then begin, and his second resignation will take effect, and the new Vice President will serve for the remainder of the President's term.

Additionally, yes, I believe it can be a resignation even if the President has not yet taken office, although the resignation would not take effect until the new term begins. RONR provides that an election is complete if the candidate doesn't immediately decline.

In our by-laws the end of the term is October 31, and the newly elected board takes office on November 1st.

The President would be resigning for the new term, not the present one.  So would the new VP elect, then take over as President as of November 1st?  Or would the President need to state which term they are resigning from?

In this instance the VP would be the same person.

I agree that there can be a resignation before the term of office begins, but if the resignation of the person elected president is accepted at that time, then I'm not convinced that the vice-president automatically takes his place. This person is not president yet, and there is not yet any vacancy in the office of president. So I think the assembly could go ahead and elect another president.

It seems to me that in this situation, someone should move that the voting take place on a single ballot paper for all offices at one time, and avoid this mess to begin with.

If I were a member, I would tactfully suggest that people seeking office should suck up their personal differences and do the damn job they are elected to do, without acting like two-year-olds.  

But tactfully.

If I were a member, I would tactfully suggest that people seeking office should suck up their personal differences and do the damn job they are elected to do, without acting like two-year-olds.  

But tactfully.

While that would be preferable however the toxic atmosphere has made it extremely difficult for the board to function as a cohesive unit.  The elections have taken place, the person who caused the issues did not get re-elected.   Thank you everyone for your input, it is much appreciated.

Archived