The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions Time Limit

Guest Jim

If there is another regular meeting within a quarterly time interval, and no memberships will expire before then, the motion is taken up as unfinished business at the next meeting. Otherwise, the motion "falls to the ground" and has to be made all over again.

When a main motion has been made and received a second, how long is that motion good for if not acted upon and no time was set for action?

What happened after the motion was made and seconded?

If there is another regular meeting within a quarterly time interval, and no memberships will expire before then, the motion is taken up as unfinished business at the next meeting. Otherwise, the motion "falls to the ground" and has to be made all over again.

Based solely on the facts provided, I don't think we can say with any degree of certainty what should happen to this motion.

The meeting was adjourned with no action on the motion.

I'm not sure this entirely answers the question. What exactly happened after the motion was made and seconded?

A motion that was pending at the time of adjournment should be taken up under Unfinished Business at the next regular meeting (presuming that is within a quarterly interval, i.e., before the end of the third following month).

This is correct, but it is not yet clear that the motion was pending, and if it was, what (if anything) happened to it next. In order for a motion to become pending, a motion must be made, seconded, and stated by the chair. It is not yet clear whether this final step occurred - in fact, it's not really clear what happened at all.

A motion that was pending at the time of adjournment should be taken up under Unfinished Business at the next regular meeting (presuming that is within a quarterly interval, i.e., before the end of the third following month).

I couldn't have said it better myself. Or did I?   :)

Guest Jim, it would be most helpful if you would tell us what happened after the motion was made and seconded.  Surely something transpired between the time the motion was seconded and the meeting adjourned.  Did nothing happen between the time the motion was seconded and the meeting adjourned?  No other motions?  No discussions?  No other business? The chair simply announced that the meeting is adjourned immediately the motion at issue was seconded?

It really went like this?

Member A:  I move that we paint the clubhouse blue.

Member B:  SECOND!!!

The Chair:  The meeting is adjourned.

That's the way it went down??  :wacko:

Archived