The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending the agenda

Guest dubyar

School Board unable to agree on procedure. Have FAQ's and 11th edition.

Does a committee members move to amend the Agenda (prior to member approval) require a second and majority approval prior to adding to the agenda?

If yes, is it debatable?

If a second member also makes a move to amend and the response to the above question is yes, are they handled separately?

Only School Board members have the right to make motions at School Board meetings. In small boards (not more than about a dozen members), motions do not require a second. A motion to amend the agenda is debatable and it requires a majority vote for adoption. Generally, amendments are handled one at a time.

Only School Board members have the right to make motions at School Board meetings. In small boards (not more than about a dozen members), motions do not require a second. A motion to amend the agenda is debatable and it requires a majority vote for adoption. Generally, amendments are handled one at a time.

I agree with Hieu's comment, but would add the caveat that the school board may well have a rule of its own regarding whether seconds are required for motions and that if it is a public body it will likely be subject to that state's open meetings laws (sunshine laws) which sometimes have provisions regarding the necessity of a second.  Such rules (whether special rules of order or in a statute) would supersede the rules in RONR regarding seconds.   It is my experience that most small public bodies (such as city councils) and school boards do require a second, either by rule or by custom.  Check your own rules and governing statutes.

As Hieu said, if there is no contrary rule, then RONR provides that in small boards of not more than about a dozen members, seconds are not required.  I also agree with Godel Fan that these things are usually handled by unanimous consent unless it is a public body subject to a rule requiring an actual record vote on motions.  Some open meetings laws have strict provisions on amending the agenda after it has been posted or on the day of the meeting.

Edited to add:  And of course I agree with  Dan Honemann  on everything!  Well, almost everything....  but at least everything in his post above. :)

Archived