The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session Secrecy

George Mervosh

Please see my answer in this thread  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/27150-special-meetingexecutive-session/

It seems to me I might have part of it wrong.  I opined the board members were required to maintain the secrecy of the executive session,  and the others were honor bound to do so.  In reading p. 96, ll. 6-9, it would seem to me that if the other members of the society have a right to attend board meetings according to the bylaws, they too have a requirement of secrecy and could be punished if they violate the requirement as well as board members.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, George Mervosh said:

Please see my answer in this thread  http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/27150-special-meetingexecutive-session/

It seems to me I might have part of it wrong.  I opined the board members were required to maintain the secrecy of the executive session,  and the others were honor bound to do so.  In reading p. 96, ll. 6-9, it would seem to me that if the other members of the society have a right to attend board meetings according to the bylaws, they too have a requirement of secrecy and could be punished if they violate the requirement as well as board members.  Is that correct?

Yes, I think so.

I would agree as well. Any assembly (not just the Board) which possesses the authority to sit confidentially gets its authority to do so from its establishing power. By choosing to sit secretly, the rule that the proceedings must be kept confidential is a duly-enacted decision of the assembly, and therefore all members subject to the organization's authority---even if not directly subject to that assembly's---are bound to follow that confidentiality. I see it as similar to, say, punishing a member for disrupting the proceedings of a committee. The member cannot escape punishment by arguing that he is not a member of the committee, and thus that he is free to disrupt it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived