The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"critical motion" definition

Guest guest

<< excerpt page 418 >>

The tellers' report is entered in full in the minutes, becoming a part of the official records of the organization.

Under no circumstances should this be omitted in an election or in a vote on a critical motion out of a mistaken deference to the feelings of unsuccessful candidates or members of the losing side.

I think an election is critical.

I think a bylaws amendment is critical.

I think big asset transactions (e.g., buying/selling real estate) are critical.

If you have a tellers committee tabulating ballots, then that very mode of decision-making suggests to me that the decision, whatever is worth balloting on, must critical. (Why else would you bypass up a voice vote or a standing vote?)

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

What  is a "critical motion" as used on page 418 (line 29) in Robert's Rules?

The sentence referred to refers to the requirement that the full tellers' report be read and included in the minutes:

Under no circumstances should this be omitted in an election or in a vote on a critical motion out of a mistaken deference to the feelings of unsuccessful candidates or members of the losing side

From that context, I think a critical motion means hotly contested or controversial motion in which personal feelings have become enmeshed.  That is, any situation where one might, out of a mistaken deference to the losing side, be tempted to to omit the vote count.

I'd say that any motion is "critical" to someone, particularly the original mover.

"Critical" is a judgment call (judged by who?) and I submit that the modifying word "critical" should be purged from the next RONR edition, just as the words "all important", describing motions which merited the inclusion of the name of the mover in the minutes, vanished in going from the 10th to the 11th Ed .   In the 11th the minutes include the name of the mover of all main motions; in the 10th only "important" motions were so honored.  But who was to say that a motion was or wasn't "important"? Not the secretary, that's for sure - p. 468, lines18-21.

You're right, none of this is "critical" -- it is, in fact, much ado about nothing.

RONR (11th ed.), on page 418, lines 26-27, makes it very clear that the tellers' report is to be entered in full in the minutes. The following sentence on lines 28-31 simply mentions elections and votes on critical motions as being two examples of instances in which "a mistaken deference to the feelings of unsuccessful candidates or members of the losing side" may prompt a desire to leave a tellers report out of the minutes, and says that under no circumstances should this be allowed to happen.

To read any of what is said on page 418 as implying that only tellers' reports in elections and on critical motions need be entered in the minutes requires making a serious effort to find something to fuss about.  

15 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

To read any of what is said on page 418 as implying that only tellers' reports in elections and on critical motions need be entered in the minutes requires making a serious effort to find something to fuss about.  

What else is there to do when (still) snowed in?

Archived