The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special meeting agenda

Guest Jay

There's a little logic problem in HHH's answer:  for "The board to set the agenda",  the board would have to meet to do that.  And...  well, you can figure out the rest.

What he most likely meant was that whoever (a person or a group, whatever the bylaws specify) called the meeting sets the agenda, and specifies the business to be looked after. 

HHH is entirely correct in noting that no other business may be transacted.   See p. 93.

46 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

There's a little logic problem in HHH's answer:  for "The board to set the agenda",  the board would have to meet to do that.  And...  well, you can figure out the rest.

Actually, I think he knows what an agenda is, and he knows that the board will indeed have to meet if it is to adopt one.

2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

What would be the point of adopting an agenda listing only the item(s) of business included in the notice for the special meeting? 

Neither of us said that there would be any point in adopting one. We said that if an agenda is to be adopted, it will need to be adopted by the board during its meeting.

10 hours ago, Guest Jay said:

When a special meeting of the Board is called, who sets the agenda and can any other business be conducted other than what is on the agenda?

It is unlikely that an agenda would be necessary, since only the business stated in the call of the meeting would be in order.

It may be worth pointing out that the two are not synonymous. 

22 hours ago, jstackpo said:

What would be the point of adopting an agenda listing only the item(s) of business included in the notice for the special meeting? 

There could be multiple items in the call to the special meeting and when the board meets it may wish to place the items in a specific order, but I've never seen enough considered at a special meeting to warrant it.

In any event, it's not "whoever (a person or a group, whatever the bylaws specify) called the meeting" that "sets the agenda", as John said in his initial response, except for the fact that I'm sure John was using the word "agenda" in that response, not in its technical sense, but simply as referring to, as he said, what it is that "specifies the business to be looked after".

I just wanted to fuss with him. :)

Archived