The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest David

Speaking more than twice

Guest David

Is it possible for an organization to alter Robert's Rules?  Specifically, I am referring to the rule regarding the length or number of speeches in a debate.  Can provision be made to allow for a member to speak more than twice on a particular question on the same day?  (Section 4, page 43, line 5) 

An organization can adopt special rules of order which supersede RONR.  Additionally, an assembly can adopt special rules of order for the length of the session.  If something less sweeping is desired, the rules can be suspended for this purpose.

I agree with Godelfan, but would point out that suspending the rule in RONR about being allowed to speak twice for up to ten minutes each time would have the effect of allowing unlimited debate on that question (or for the length of that session).  It it is desired to tighten, rather than loosen the rule, a motion to "limit or extend the limits of debate" should be adopted.  In this case, the motion would be to "limit debate" in whatever manner the assembly desires.  It would take a two thirds vote to adopt.

2 hours ago, Guest David said:

Is it possible for an organization to alter Robert's Rules?  Specifically, I am referring to the rule regarding the length or number of speeches in a debate.  Can provision be made to allow for a member to speak more than twice on a particular question on the same day?  (Section 4, page 43, line 5) 

The footnote on page 43 refers you to Sections 15 and 52. My guess is that the rules in Section 15 are what you're looking for.

18 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I . . . but would point out that suspending the rule in RONR about being allowed to speak twice for up to ten minutes each time would have the effect of allowing unlimited debate on that question (or for the length of that session). 

I don't know what you mean by this. In RONR, there's no such thing as simply "suspending the rule" about something without specifying the effect to be achieved.

"In making the incidental motion to Suspend the Rules, the particular rule or rules to be suspended are not mentioned; but the motion must state its specific purpose, and its adoption permits nothing else to be done under the suspension." (RONR, 11th ed., p. 262)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.