The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election by Acclamation

Guest David

How should the chair respond to this situation? The chair has announced that the floor is open for nominations. Before anyone makes any nominations, a member says, “I move we elect Mr. Jones by acclamation.” This has always seemed to me to be a polite railroad job.

19 minutes ago, Guest David said:

How should the chair respond to this situation? The chair has announced that the floor is open for nominations. Before anyone makes any nominations, a member says, “I move we elect Mr. Jones by acclamation.” This has always seemed to me to be a polite railroad job.

If I were the chair, I would respond by saying "Mr. Jones is nominated", and then ask if there are any further nominations.

26 minutes ago, Guest said:

Thank you for your response. I take it from your answer that it is not correct to allow such a motion?

If it was proper for the chair to announce, as you say he did, that the floor was open for nominations, an election was then the pending business and an assumed motion "that ________be elected" was, in effect, already pending (RONR, 11th ed., p. 430, ll. 4-6). As a consequence, a motion "that we elect Mr. Jones by acclamation", would not be in order.

Archived