The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Meeting Attendance

Just Wondering

The issue of non-members or guests attending membership meetings is being disputed by a member who wishes to have his girlfriend attend membership meetings. Under the description in Robert's Rules, the organization is classified as an assembly with By-laws and Rules membership requirements, etc. The introduction to the By-laws describes it as a members only club and states that none of the facilities are open or available to the public. It goes on to describe how apply and maintain membership. The only time guest are mentioned is for signing in to attend social events and/or purchase drinks from the bar.  They must sign in along with their sponsoring member. I recall reading in the 11th edition of Robert's Rules that if a member brings a guest to the meeting, they have to introduce the guest and ask the membership if the guest may attend. The membership then votes on the request. Could you direct me to where I may find language regarding this issue of non-members attending membership meetings?

30 minutes ago, Just Wondering said:

The issue of non-members or guests attending membership meetings is being disputed by a member who wishes to have his girlfriend attend membership meetings. Under the description in Robert's Rules, the organization is classified as an assembly with By-laws and Rules membership requirements, etc. The introduction to the By-laws describes it as a members only club and states that none of the facilities are open or available to the public. It goes on to describe how apply and maintain membership. The only time guest are mentioned is for signing in to attend social events and/or purchase drinks from the bar.  They must sign in along with their sponsoring member. I recall reading in the 11th edition of Robert's Rules that if a member brings a guest to the meeting, they have to introduce the guest and ask the membership if the guest may attend. The membership then votes on the request. Could you direct me to where I may find language regarding this issue of non-members attending membership meetings?

See page 644.

>> Nonmembers, on the other hand ― or a particular nonmember or group of nonmembers ―

>> can be excluded at any time from part or all of a meeting of a society, or from all of its meetings.

Archived