The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes and Agenda

Nrm

Is there any guidance or preferred practice for recording the agenda in the minutes?  Typically, our board approves minutes that reflect the motion to adopt an agenda.  We would be correct that there is no need or requirement (or purpose, really) in specifying what was listed on the agenda (or amended to agenda) in the minutes, yes?

3 hours ago, Nrm said:

Is there any guidance or preferred practice for recording the agenda in the minutes

Typically, our board approves minutes that reflect the motion to adopt an agenda. 

We would be correct that there is no need or requirement (or purpose, really) in specifying what was listed on the agenda (or amended to agenda) in the minutes, yes?

Say! That is an interesting question which I have never thought of.

If there is, indeed, a motion -- to adopt Document 'D' -- like a committee report, like a resolution -- then it would be proper and expected that the document be either word-for-word included in the minutes, or, more realistically for longer texts, filed away, either as an appendix to the minutes or filed in its customary archive, as the case may be (this is particularly common for committee reports, which typically are compiled into their own archive).

The twist, here, being -- I have seen minutes say, ". . . the agenda was adopted . . .", but I have never seen minutes actually include the word-for-word document.

Funny how such a simple notion can be overlooked. -- It makes me ponder. In a good way. :huh:

11 hours ago, Nrm said:

Is there any guidance or preferred practice for recording the agenda in the minutes?  Typically, our board approves minutes that reflect the motion to adopt an agenda.  We would be correct that there is no need or requirement (or purpose, really) in specifying what was listed on the agenda (or amended to agenda) in the minutes, yes?

If your board adopts an agenda for one of its meetings, the adopted agenda should be fully recorded in the minutes of that meeting, or directly attached as an exhibit to those minutes in the minute book.

4 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If your board adopts an agenda for one of its meetings, the adopted agenda should be fully recorded in the minutes of that meeting, or directly attached as an exhibit to those minutes in the minute book.

Is this stated somewhere in RONR?   I don't recall having seen it and did not find it just now when conducting a brief search. 

1 hour ago, George Mervosh said:

What kind of creature is this, Dan? :)

The creature mentioned at the bottom of page 474?  (And probably more so in earlier versions of RONR, although I did not check.  I do seem to recall language from earlier editions about a "bound minute book" or something to that effect.  Perhaps that was before we had typewriters and loose leaf binders?   And perhaps it's extinct now?   :huh:

5 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

The creature mentioned at the bottom of page 474?  (And probably more so in earlier versions of RONR, although I did not check.  I do seem to recall language from earlier editions about a "bound minute book" or something to that effect.  Perhaps that was before we had typewriters and loose leaf binders?   And perhaps it's extinct now?   :huh:

Oh please stop harassing me while I'm harassing Dan. ;)

5 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Is this stated somewhere in RONR?   I don't recall having seen it and did not find it just now when conducting a brief search. 

When a motion is made to adopt something (an agenda, a set of bylaws, a committee report, or whatever), it doesn't make any difference whether that which is proposed for adoption is presented orally or in writing. It is obviously a part of the main motion to adopt it, and is to be recorded in the minutes (p. 469, ll. 13-25).

10 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Well I'm glad some realized I was joking, instead of citing page numbers for something I knew existed. :)

Okay, but when were you going to explain to Nrm that his board probably should not be adopting an agenda in the first place (assuming it meets at least once every three months, and his organization has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority), but if it does, the adopted agenda should be entered in the minutes kept in that there minute book.  :)

Archived