The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Practices not included in the bylaws

Guest LB

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

The issue is payment of board members hotel rooms for conference meeting.

It seems to me you should continue with whatever practice you've been following in this regard until the assembly decides to do otherwise. I'd also note that if the assembly does decide to adopt a written rule on this subject, a standing rule would likely be sufficient.

Thank you, the issue is further compounded because no one seems to know when the "practice" began or who gave permission for board member rooms to be charged to the organization. We know rooms were covered in the last few years but nothing about prior years.  The amendment being tabled will delay the vote for another year and current board members want their rooms covered. Is this ethical?

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

Thank you, the issue is further compounded because no one seems to know when the "practice" began or who gave permission for board member rooms to be charged to the organization. We know rooms were covered in the last few years but nothing about prior years.  The amendment being tabled will delay the vote for another year and current board members want their rooms covered. Is this ethical?

If there is no rule prohibiting the practice, then it seems to me that am ordinary motion would be sufficient to authorize paymnent on a case-by-case basis. If the orgainzation wants the practice to be ongoing, then I agree with Josh that a stading rule is sufficent. Certainly no need to clutter the bylaws with this administrative detail.

Another suggestion:

There is nothing stopping you (collectively) from dynamically adopting a motion of "reimbursement" (after the fact), every year, on the fly, as the need arises.

There is no need to "institutionalize" the practice, at all.

Do it some years. Don't do it in other years, when the budget is thin.

Archived