The Official RONR Q & A Forums

self nomination for director position

new2mozilla

In a small non-profit society with approximately 10 board members, elections for directors at the AGM seem generally to come from the floor.  I attended an AGM recently where several members nominated themselves (and, not surprisingly, were voted in). I have never seen this before, and find this somewhat bizarre.  Is there any precedent for self-nomination?  I'm not sure of the content of this organization's Constitution.  I can find nothing in the Societies Act, other than " The members of a society may, in accordance with the bylaws, nominate, elect or appoint directors. "  And in RONR, it seems any member in good standing can make a nomination.  But to nominate oneself???  Thanks for any guidance.

2 hours ago, new2mozilla said:

In a small non-profit society with approximately 10 board members, elections for directors at the AGM seem generally to come from the floor.  I attended an AGM recently where several members nominated themselves (and, not surprisingly, were voted in). I have never seen this before, and find this somewhat bizarre.  Is there any precedent for self-nomination?  I'm not sure of the content of this organization's Constitution.  I can find nothing in the Societies Act, other than " The members of a society may, in accordance with the bylaws, nominate, elect or appoint directors. "  And in RONR, it seems any member in good standing can make a nomination.  But to nominate oneself???  Thanks for any guidance.

Nothing wrong with that.  It's called volunteering.

Archived