The Official RONR Q & A Forums

In a small non-profit society with approximately 10 board members, elections for directors at the AGM seem generally to come from the floor.  I attended an AGM recently where several members nominated themselves (and, not surprisingly, were voted in). I have never seen this before, and find this somewhat bizarre.  Is there any precedent for self-nomination?  I'm not sure of the content of this organization's Constitution.  I can find nothing in the Societies Act, other than " The members of a society may, in accordance with the bylaws, nominate, elect or appoint directors. "  And in RONR, it seems any member in good standing can make a nomination.  But to nominate oneself???  Thanks for any guidance.

2 hours ago, new2mozilla said:

In a small non-profit society with approximately 10 board members, elections for directors at the AGM seem generally to come from the floor.  I attended an AGM recently where several members nominated themselves (and, not surprisingly, were voted in). I have never seen this before, and find this somewhat bizarre.  Is there any precedent for self-nomination?  I'm not sure of the content of this organization's Constitution.  I can find nothing in the Societies Act, other than " The members of a society may, in accordance with the bylaws, nominate, elect or appoint directors. "  And in RONR, it seems any member in good standing can make a nomination.  But to nominate oneself???  Thanks for any guidance.

Nothing wrong with that.  It's called volunteering.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.