The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Whole year of minutes need to be approved

Daisy Carrington

The secretary of our organization has not provided drafts of the minutes in advance of the general membership meetings for me to review. I am not comfortable approving something I've not read. We have not approved minutes for the entire year as a result of not having them prepared or giving them to me 20 minutes before a meeting. Once I read them, they required changes. I suggested we call a special general membership meeting to approve the minutes. (3 days notice). I can get a quorum. If we do not do this, can the next new board consisting of 3/5 new members and a new general memeberhsip base approve the previous year's minutes? 

You don't state who "you" are in relation to your organization, but regardless, you should understand that nothing in RONR requires the secretary to provide "you" individually with a copy before they are presented to the assembly for approval, or to accept any changes "you" individually think should be made. Corrections to the minutes are made by the entire assembly, most often by unanimous consent, but also by majority vote if necessary. If copies of the minutes are not distributed to the membership before the meeting at which they are to be approved, then they should be read aloud at that meeting, and any single member can demand that they be read.

As for your question, Mr. Goldsworthy has given you the answer.

Edited to add: There is certainly no reason for the assembly not to approve minutes just because "you" didn't get a copy in advance.

Archived