The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion of Censure

NancyB

Recently, without consulting the Board, the President of our association sent a member of our group two registered letters, each threatening legal action. As a Board member, I believe the president should be censured for his unilateral actions. He has called a meeting of the Board. What action(s) can or should I take at that meeting? The threatened lawsuits happen to be without merit  but that, it seems to me, is irrelevant. The issue is the proper response to his, to my mind, inexcusable behaviour.

As a board member, you can (with a second) move that the president be censured for his actions or, if warranted, that more serious discipline should be initiated.  For actions beyond simple censure, you'll need to refer to disciplinary rules in your bylaws, if any exist, or in RONR Chapter XX if the bylaws are silent.

1 minute ago, Richard Brown said:

Although, if the upcoming board meeting is a special meeting, you might not be able to censure him at this meeting because only those items specifically listed in the call of the meeting are in order at a special meeting.

If it is a special meeting this may be a case where a motion to censure arises in connection with the business being transacted.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 93, ll. 5-8.    

9 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

If it is a special meeting this may be a case where a motion to censure arises in connection with the business being transacted.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 93, ll. 5-8.    

I agree. However, it is my understanding that the desire to censure arises out of actions that have already taken place, namely the sending of the registered letters to two members 

14 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

I agree. However, it is my understanding that the desire to censure arises out of actions that have already taken place, namely the sending of the registered letters to two members 

It's still possible that the subject of the meeting is the actions that have already taken place.  If the chair, say, hoped to get a motion to Ratify his actions, an amendment could be offered to strike ratify and insert censure

15 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

As a board member, you can (with a second) move that the president be censured for his actions or, if warranted, that more serious discipline should be initiated.  For actions beyond simple censure, you'll need to refer to disciplinary rules in your bylaws, if any exist, or in RONR Chapter XX if the bylaws are silent.

Chapter XX may not be necessary.

A motion "that the chair be censured," could be adopted. 

I think you were hinting at that. 

On 8/1/2016 at 6:42 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I thought I was saying that.  :)

Not quite.  Censure can be a result of disciplinary action, a punishment.  A main motion to censure can also be adopted, which is not punishment, but is the opinion of the assembly.  Only someone subject to the organization may be subject to punishment.  A nonmember may be subject to a motion of censure. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

As a board member, you can (with a second) move that the president be censured for his actions 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:10 AM, J. J. said:

A motion "that the chair be censured," could be adopted. 

I think you were hinting at that. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

I thought I was saying that.  :)

1 hour ago, J. J. said:

Not quite. 

Well, I think Mr. Novosielski gets the best of this exchange.  :)

Archived