The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quietstorm

Good day all. Our new Board Chairperson (9 1/2 months) has taken it upon herself to start changing the way things have been for the past 4 years.  By that I mean she has started to institute changes relative to policies that have been in place (voted on by the past Board) without having had a Board meeting (or vote of the current Board) for the purpose of making any changes.  In our bylaws it specifically states that the day to day operations are controlled by the President and Executive Committee.  She has (recently) been attempting to take control of that as well.  I have pointed out to her, on several occasions, about the aforementioned policies and bylaws (I am co-chair of the Board) to no avail.  What recourse do I have at this point in time?  Thanks in advance.

If your (newish) chair is really turning into a dictator (that may be a bit strong... Or not...) and isn't amenable to rational admonitions, you could propose a motion to censure her at your next board meeting.  Or bring up points of order to the effect that she is doing things contrary to the Board's previously adopted policies.  But read your bylaws carefully to see how much power the bylaws do give to the chairman.   The idea is to get the Board (and the ExecComm) to participate in the chastisements, not you alone.

If all else fails consider more forceful measures as described in FAQ 20 (elsewhere on this website) and Chapter XX of RONR.

BTW, if you are a co-chair of the Board (per - one can only hope - your bylaws spelling out what that means) that might mean you are co-equal to her and can simply countermand whatever improper proposals she is making.  (RONR does not recommend co-chair, or co-anything, positions, however.)

Good luck!

Archived