The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Guest Kevin

Once you are in executive session

1) you are able to make a motion, (in this case disciplinary), discuss and vote, correct?

If majority rules in favor of the disciplinary action and then the executive session is terminated -

2) Do we need to vote again in regular session or just record the results of the executive session, in the minutes?

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Kevin said:

Once you are in executive session

1) you are able to make a motion, (in this case disciplinary), discuss and vote, correct?

If majority rules in favor of the disciplinary action and then the executive session is terminated -

2) Do we need to vote again in regular session or just record the results of the executive session, in the minutes?

1) Yes.  But, if RONR is your authority, some disciplinary actions, such as expulsion from membership, can require a two thirds vote.  Also, I question whether the executive session is automatically terminated at the conclusion of the trial or vote. If it is desired to conduct other permissible business after the disciplinary proceedings have ended, I think the more prudent procedure would be for someone to move to end the executive session or for the chair to state that "If there is no objection, we will end the executive session and enter an open (or public) session".  Otherwise, there will be confusion as to whether the latter part of the meeting was in executive session.

2) As Mr. Huynh noted, there is no need to vote again in regular session.  Note:  The misconception that votes cannot be taken in executive session or must be repeated in open session likely stems from the fact that in many states, public bodies such as city councils, school boards, etc are subject to the state's open meeting (or sunshine) laws which require that all votes of public bodies be conducted in open public session and on the record.

Edited to add:  I think that when I responded above, I had misinterpreted your comment as saying that you thought the executive session ends automatically at the conclusion of the disciplinary proceeding.  I realize now that is probably not what you were saying. :wacko:

Archived