The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hello, I am confused and do not know where to find the rules or if it is even in the rules. I am currently the vice president of my student government association and the president is not allowed to vote unless it's a tied. Since the president of my association will not be able to attend a few meetings and leaves me to be the chair/facilitator do i lose my voting rights? 

Whether you lose your voting rights or not will depend on the exact wording of your rule, assuming this is an actual rule.  In RONR, it is the chair (the presiding officer of the assembly) - whether that is the president or someone else -  who is obligated to not exercise his right to vote while presiding in a large assembly. If your rule says 'president' specifically, then it would only apply to the president and no one else.

However, if your association follows RONR as its parliamentary authority, you acting as chair would be subject to RONR's rule concerning the chair voting. By the way, RONR's rule is that the chair only votes when his vote will make a difference - which is not the same as only in a tie - or when the vote is taken by ballot.

3 hours ago, Seeker said:

I am currently the vice president of my student government association

and the president is not allowed to vote unless it's a tied.

Since the president of my association will not be able to attend a few meetings

and leaves me to be the chair/facilitator,

do I lose my voting rights? 

Since your rule is a customized rule, and does not conform to Robert's Rules of Order, then there could well be a gray area in how to interpret your rule, and how to apply your rule.

Under Robert's Rules, the presiding officer never loses the right to vote. (There is a different kind of restriction.)

Q. What does your customized rule say about who loses what? (Do not paraphrase your rule, as I'd like to know the noun and the verb.)

Archived