The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous notice of motions for Special Meetings

Dave Bennett

RONR (11th ed.), p. 91, ll. 31 - 35 (under Special Meeting) states "Notice of the time, place, and purpose of the meeting, clearly and specifically describing the subject matter of the motions or items of business to be brought up, must be sent to all members a reasonable number of days in advance." 

Additionally, RONR (11th ed.), p. 121, ll. 23 - 27 states "The term previous notice (or notice), as applied to necessary conditions for the adoption of certain motions, has a particular meaning in parliamentary law. A requirement of previous notice means that announcement that the motion will be introduced—indicating its exact content as described below—must be included in the call of the meeting (p. 4) at which the motion will be brought up..."

Yet, RONR (11th ed.), p. 93, ll. 13 - 18 states "The requirement that business transacted at a special meeting be specified in the call should not be confused with a requirement that previous notice of a motion be given. Although the call of a special meeting must state the purpose of the meeting, it need not give the exact content of individual motions that will be considered."

If the motion that will be considered fits the criteria for "necessary conditions for the adoption of specific motions", must the motion be included in the call for the meeting?

Thanks 

Yes. If the motion you wish to consider and adopt requires previous notice, a call to a special meeting can be the vehicle used to give such notice, provided that the special meeting call is sent in the time frame required to give previous notice.   So if the motion requires 30 days previous notice, the call must be sent in time so that 30 days notice is given.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks George.  Another question:

If, after the call for the meeting was sent to members without a motion, but clearly stating the purpose of the meeting, can members submit a motion and ask to have it sent to the other members prior to the meeting.  Or must they wait to propose the motions during the meeting?

11 minutes ago, Dave Bennett said:

Thanks George.  Another question:

If, after the call for the meeting was sent to members without a motion, but clearly stating the purpose of the meeting, can members submit a motion and ask to have it sent to the other members prior to the meeting.  Or must they wait to propose the motions during the meeting?

I'm not sure I understand this, but I'll try.

I take it the call was sent and it did not contain any motions which required previous notice.  Now someone wants to adopt a motion at that meeting which required previous notice. 

If I have it right to this point, another call can be sent out for the special meeting, this time including the motion which requires previous notice, assuming of course you have time to do it. You can't short-change the members on the number of days notice is required.

Ugh, I think I'm missing something here.  Am i?

No, you are not missing something.  In this case there isn't sufficient time to send another call of meeting.  If someone wants to propose a motion that requires previous notice, what would be an option?  Take up business that is not allowed in the meeting and have it ratified at another special meeting called for that purpose?

Dave

Ugh, Indeed.  And thanks, George, for clearing that up -- the apparent discrepancy has been niggling at the back of my mind for some time (but the back does not deign to consult the front much).  And a special thanks to Mr Bennett (btw, I especially liked you in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) for having the acumen to ask about it.

I think Dave's follow-up question asks whether the chair should just bring up the motion himself, as with General Orders, or if the member (or any member) must get the floor and make the motion.  I myslef don't see the answer to it (I just looked for 20 minutes -- I'm glad it wasn't a snake).

N.B.  I still haven't seen Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; I'm hoping Dave Bennett has a stellar role, as, he doesn't get a lot to do in the Jane Austen novel,, despite his major and delightful appearance in the first chapter

13 hours ago, Dave Bennett said:

No, you are not missing something.  In this case there isn't sufficient time to send another call of meeting.  If someone wants to propose a motion that requires previous notice, what would be an option?  Take up business that is not allowed in the meeting and have it ratified at another special meeting called for that purpose?

Dave

If a motion actually requires previous notice for its adoption, the only way to validly adopt it is to either, (I) give the requisite previous notice or, (ii) adopt it at a meeting at which all members are present. There are no other options.

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If a motion actually requires previous notice for its adoption, the only way to validly adopt it is to either, (I) give the requisite previous notice or, (ii) adopt it at a meeting at which all members are present. There are no other options.

Could someone supply a page reference for option (ii), please.  I'm not arguing the rule doesn't exist, I just can't find it  --  no hint of it in the index under "notice".  Thanks

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.