The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer replaced before term with No notice or reason.

Guest Cole Maim

I was elected as an office from the floor for a two-year term. Prior treasurer resigned early, I replaced her, assume this begins a new term? Officially elected during an annual meeting unlike usual board with majority of all membership was present. 

Unknowingly This was a strongly divided group. Former president (head of the nominating committee) did not like me as I was Referred by members she disliked.

She took it upon herself at year end to present it to the board As if I had simply finished the past treasures term- but this was never stated. I was elected off the floor... Then by surprise they replaced me as if I had finished my term. I did a very good job and It hurt my feelings to be ungreatfully discharged from my position with no understanding of it to happen this way. 

Can anyone help me understand how or why they did this with no authority?? 

First check your bylaws.  When you filled the (departed) treasurer's position, it may well have just been for the remainder of his/her term.  This is the most common procedure in most bylaws I have seen.  Filling a vacancy does NOT start a new full term, normally, unless your association has VERY unusual bylaws.  So check them.

So it was unfortunate that this was not made clear to you when you accepted the job. Take it with good grace and run for treasurer in the next regular election  --  if you win, that'll show them!

3 hours ago, Guest Cole Maim said:

S1.) Prior treasurer resigned early, I replaced her, I assume this begins a new term?

S2.) She took it upon herself at year end to present it to the board as if I had simply finished the past treasures term.

Reply to S1.

"No."

To fill a vacancy implies that you are completing an existing term of office, and not beginning a new term of office.

Reply to S2.

"Correct."

You, as the party who was elected to complete an ongoing term of office, do not "reset the clock."

The term of office is fixed in length, or, depending on the wording of your bylaws, may be fixed in the "start of the clock", even if the end of the term of office is not necessarily with a fixed end-point. (See term of office defined in some bylaws as lasting ". . . until a successor is elected or qualified . . .", thus the end-point may be flexible. Some bylaws just say, ". . . for one year . . .", and simply put a period on the sentence -- no qualifier added.)

I am surprised that you did not pick this up from the wording in your bylaws. -- One's term of office for a given office, in most bylaws, are usually defined with a clear "start", and with one of two kinds of "end points". -- I am curious about the wording of your bylaws' definition. Q. Do you know what the term of office is for this office of treasurer?

20 hours ago, Guest Cole Maim said:

I was elected as an office from the floor for a two-year term. Prior treasurer resigned early, I replaced her, assume this begins a new term? Officially elected during an annual meeting unlike usual board with majority of all membership was present. 

Unknowingly This was a strongly divided group. Former president (head of the nominating committee) did not like me as I was Referred by members she disliked.

She took it upon herself at year end to present it to the board As if I had simply finished the past treasures term- but this was never stated. I was elected off the floor... Then by surprise they replaced me as if I had finished my term. I did a very good job and It hurt my feelings to be ungreatfully discharged from my position with no understanding of it to happen this way. 

Can anyone help me understand how or why they did this with no authority?? 

Your original assumption was probably incorrect, unless you have an unusual rule in your bylaws. 

The far more common interpretation when a term is vacated is that the ending date of the term does not change, and the person elected or appointed to fill the vacancy does so only for the unexpired remainder of the term.  So you would have to stand for election at the normal completion of the term and might win, or might lose.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.