The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rotating members from 3 year committees

DebbieinFL

Hello. We have a committee that is setup per bylaws whose members are elected to operate in a rotating basis. The bylaws say that "one-third of the members are to rotate off" and one year must pass before they can be nominated again.

We are considering some bylaw changes because that committee has unfortunately not been setup recently in sets of 3 and we are having difficulty getting people to accept working on the committee. One of the the proposed changes is to add the word  "approximately one-third."  I am wondering the effect of adding that word would have - how do you determine "approximately" when it comes to people? Shouldn't the bylaws be clear without rounding off errors? :)  Thank you!

>> " . . . how do you determine 'approximately one third'?"

Customized wording, which is not lifted from Robert's Rules of Order, implies that you are "on your own" to interpret, "What you meant at the time of adoption," as well as the future question, "How do we administer this new rule, today, for real?"

So, I think I am answering your implied question, "I don't know.":blink:

I'm curious, is the size of the committee variable (depends on how many are nominated and elected), a fixed number, or fixed within a range (e.g, 6 to 12), or ...?

And, to what term in office are members elected, 1 year, 3 year, or ...?

And just to mention, rather than "rotating members off", has your group considered term limits? That gets you to the same place (fresh blood) without ambiguity, maybe not as fast if the limits are set high and/or terms in office are long. Also, if recruiting members is a problem, maybe your committee could be made smaller?

Edited by Clurichan
verbs good

Approximately one-third of the Senate comes up for re-election (or not) every 2 years, but they don't put it that way.  I'd not suggest you put it that way either.  How about, instead, saying how many people are on the committee, giving a term of office and setting up staggered terms, then letting the voters take it from there?

9 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

Approximately one-third of the Senate comes up for re-election (or not) every 2 years, but they don't put it that way.  I'd not suggest you put it that way either.  How about, instead, saying how many people are on the committee, giving a term of office and setting up staggered terms, then letting the voters take it from there?

This is how they said it (probably without blue underlining):

Section 3

1: The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

2: Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year

http://constitutionus.com/

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.