The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstaining

Guest Sharon

I approached our office manager (we are a small park) with a question of a board member abstaining from voting during a meeting. (the person did not want to be seen as objecting to a family member) The office manages said that abstaining is in fact voting in the positive (or in the yea) for whatever the vote was. Is this in fact true????

5 hours ago, Guest Sharon said:

I approached our office manager (we are a small park) with a question of a board member abstaining from voting during a meeting. (the person did not want to be seen as objecting to a family member) The office manages said that abstaining is in fact voting in the positive (or in the yea) for whatever the vote was. Is this in fact true????

Maybe he was trying to say, abstaining is an acquiescence to, or acceptance of, or indifference to, the outcome as determined by the vote. In other words, a statement of  "whatever you guys decide". Or maybe he was just completely up a tree.

On 12/8/2016 at 3:27 PM, Guest Sharon said:

No, that's nonsense.   When you abstain, voting is what you're abstaining from.  You have no effect on the outcome, one way or the other.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.