The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Holding Two Seats on the Board of Directors at once

Guest BrodysDad

Hello all,

A community Civic Club with much confusion within currently just held it's election. The current secretary ran for president and won without resigning from his secretary role. Currently, he holds both the secretary and president position. Whats the rule of thumb when it comes to 1.) holding two positions at once and 2.) is the secretary required to step down before running for president so that the secretary role can be filled?

Thank you,

BrodysDad

No rule in RONR prohibits a person from holding more than one office at once, but it is generally not a good idea for the same person to serve as president and secretary at the same time. It is hard to effectively do both jobs at the same time. If your organization is.incorporated, state law might prohibit it. Do your bylaws address dual office holding?

As to your President dying in office, why didn't your vice president become president automatically? That is the primary role of a vice president. . . To automatically become president in the event of a vacancy in the office of President. That is the rule in RONR unless your bylaws provide otherwise. What do your bylaws say about it?

It may be that your "former" vice president is actually now president and that the supposed election of the secretary (or anyone else) as president violates your bylaws and is null and void.

Richard, thank you for your response. 

Long story short, the civic club has a large divide and once our president passed, the secretary used school yard bully techniques to have the Vice President (acting president) not want to show up to the meetings which is where I fit into the picture. I was asked to join the club but to assist with the divide. The most recent elections was just held which included President and Treasurer. I was unable to put my name in due to bylaws that you must attend at least three meetings in the previous year to be eligible for office.

Bylaws do not prohibit duel office holding. 

I am new to RONR which is why I'm taking the crash course to assist with the clean up of this club. The corrupt and divide has been so noticeable, it has been the headlines in our local paper for months now. 

Was the election at which the secretary was elected president a special election to fill the vacancy or was it a regular election? Based on the wording of your first two posts,  I had assumed it was a special election. However, I realize now that it was probably a regular election. If it was a regular election, why was there not an election for secretary ? 

What do your bylaws say about the duties of the vice president and a vacancy in the office of President? Had the President's term expired when this election took place?

It was a regular election for president and treasurer this December. The secretary and vice president election is in December 2017.

Bylaws states " When the President is absent, the Vice-President shall serve as President; while acting as President, the Vice-President sits on all Committees ex officio."

The Presidents term ended at the last meeting when the new president was voted in. Per Bylaws, the vice president should have ran the meeting and acted as president until the end of the meeting. Being completely blunt, the poor lady won't show her face within the clubhouse due to the actions of the secretary and his followers. The entire situation is absolutely out of control and this once great small town community civic center is overran with a "mob style" group led by the now president/secretary. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.