The Official RONR Q & A Forums

call special meeting

Guest Linda J

A group of members petitioned to call a special meeting. They specified the date and demanded that they will take action if we schedule our own date and set it for a time when an employee, the subject of the meeting, cannot attend. I believe  the president calls the date and time of the meeting. Am I not correct?

14 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Agreeing with Mr Huynh, special meetings can be called only by the people authorized to do so in your bylaws.

It looks to me like the president has this authority. Should only voting members attend such meetings?

Special Meetings of the Congregation shall be called by the President when requested by 
resolution of the Board of Trustees, or when the President considers such a meeting necessary, 
or when requested by petition signed by ten percent (10%) of membership units. A call shall 
set forth the purpose of the meeting, and written notice shall be mailed or emailed to all 
members at least ten (10) days prior to the date of such meeting. No business shall be 
transacted except as specified in the notice. The Corresponding Secretary shall be 
responsible for ensuring that notices of such special meetings are sent. 

The President shall preside as Chair at all Congregational and Board of Trustees meetings, call 
Special Meetings, sign all contracts on behalf of the Congregation subject to the Board of 
Trustees approval, and perform all other duties as are incident to the office. 

6 hours ago, Guest Linda J said:

Special Meetings of the Congregation shall be called by the President

(a.) when requested by resolution of the Board of Trustees,

or

(b.) when the President considers such a meeting necessary,

or

(c.) when requested by petition signed by ten percent (10%) of membership units.

A call shall set forth the purpose of the meeting, and written notice shall be mailed or emailed to all members at least ten (10) days prior to the date of such meeting.

No business shall be transacted except as specified in the notice.

The Corresponding Secretary shall be responsible for ensuring that notices of such special meetings are sent. 

Note the phrase, ". . . when requested . . .".

A request is not a demand. A request is not a call.

The actual calling is up to the calling party, here, the president.

>> I believe  the president calls the date and time of the meeting. Am I not correct?

Based on your customized rule's wording, I would agree with you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.