The Official RONR Q & A Forums

inspection of ballots

Guest Linda J

page 418:

"...unless the voting body directs otherwise, the tellers place the ballots ...  in the custody of the secretary, who keeps them under seal", until they're destroyed, which is after the recount period is over.

the closing bit above, outside the quotation, is my paraphrase. Could the assembly order that any member be allowed to inspect? My guess is yes, but stay tuned.

I'm not so sure that "any member [may] be allowed to inspect", even with permission of the assembly.  Tellers, appointed by the presiding officer, are the folks entrusted to count ballots (p. 430); the assembly has no say in their selection.   The way to get a second look/count at the ballots is via a recount - p. 418.  Maybe the president will appoint different tellers or everybody can watch the recounting - p. 415, line 22-23. 

I'm looking for where (index doesn't seem to help me) and wondering if RONR speaks to allowing members to at least witness the (re)counting of ballots.

That sentence on page 415, lines 22-23, is simply a statement of fact, and not a rule of any kind.

The tellers are, for all intents and purposes, a special committee appointed by the chair to distribute, collect, and count the ballots, and to report the vote. Nonmembers have no right to attend its meetings, although its parent body may certainly give it instructions in this regard.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.