The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chair

Guest Frank

I don't see anything in Robert's Rules prohibiting it.

(Whyever not?  Would it be perceived as, say, some kind of Conflict Of Interest or something?  Guest Frank, was there a situation in which somebody squawked?)

Edited by Gary c Tesser
Add parenthetical ramble

8 minutes ago, Gary c Tesser said:

I don't see anything in Robert's Rules prohibiting it.

(Whyever not?  Would it be perceived as, say, some kind of Conflict Of Interest or something?  Guest Frank, was there a situation in which somebody squawked?)

POWER

perception of concentration of power, more likely, maybe?

Edited by Clurichan
indicate guesswork

1 hour ago, Clurichan said:

POWER

(What is that blurred, overlapping word comprising the first line?)

OK, makes sense.  But c'mon. In so many organizations, anyone willing to get the job done might be wearing fifteen hats.  If the board members weren't committee chairs -- as well as all the committee members, often -- there would be empty committees.

On the other hand, if the politics of the organization are such that this can be a significant concerb (or concern, which is easier to pronounce, though harder to spell), then why concentrate the power to this megalomaniac lunatic martinet president in the first place?

(Pace, I know Clurichan didn't commit himself or herself (what ethnicity is Clurichan from? And gender too, since I did bring that up first?)  to the principle of concentrating power to megalomaniac lunatic martinet presidents ... but it just sounds like so much fun.

(-- Ooo, am I inadvertently talking about current American politics again?)

8 hours ago, Clurichan said:

POWER

Sure, and if it becomes an issue, the membership can amend their rules on this subject and/or get a new President.

No rule in RONR, however, prevents the President from appointing himself as chairman of a committee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.